Do you have difficulties in English listening? Don’t worry. You are not alone. Several English learners admit that understanding spoken English is their biggest challenge. In this video, the 3 reasons why listening is difficult are listed, as well as some tips to overcome the problems.
The 3 reasons include:
- The first reason is that many English words are pronounced differently from their written form.
- The second reason is that the words in one sentence can be linked together when native speakers speak quickly. They may say “We’re gonnahav lunch” instead of “We are going to have lunch”, for example.
- Finally, too little listening practice is the most essential problem. We read a lot, but we don’t listen to enough English. Thus, it is difficult for us to understand spoken English in real life.
There are 2 techniques to improve our listening:
- The first approach is to practice daily. It would be better if we could create a habit of listening to English for 15 minutes everyday. We can listen while doing housework, driving or being on the public transportation. There are 3 resources with a wide amount of English audio for us to practice: VOA special English, BBC six-minute English and Elllo.org.
- Another approach is to practice in a more profound way. Whenever we listen to something in English, try to listen to it at least 3 times. In the first time, we focus on catching the main topic and general ideas. After that, we listen again for more specific details. Finally, we listen for the third time while reading the transcript to check if our previous understandings are correct. Also, we pay attention to individual words to learn the pronunciation and intonation.
Why don’t you go to one of the three websites and try those two techniques today? Tell us if they are helpful for you or not. We’d love to hear from you!
Featured image source: dwjmzakelijk.nl
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL363_dpaHc
You want to do something that people recognize like us. You want to create something that lasts generations; that is remembered for hundreds of years. You desire to inspire someone to see life as it really is, a gift and a pleasure, being to be grateful for. When you write for us means you write to change the world.